2020 marks the fifth anniversary since the Senate of Canada recognized June as National Deafblind Awareness Month. On behalf of our planning committee, we are working on a collaborative project to “Make a Wave” across Canada and raise awareness about deafblindness. To extend the reach of these efforts, we are seeking your help in compiling video clips from organizations and individuals in the field of deafblindness.
We are aiming to launch this video in advance of June 2020 and will need all video submissions no later than Friday, February 28 at 5:00 p.m.
A link has been included to upload your video clips into the committees’ Google Drive.
What we’re looking for:
- Video footage that includes individuals with deafblindness engaging in daily living activities, whether this be in the home environment or in their respective community.
- Examples include: cooking, utilizing public transit, engaging in activities at a paid or volunteer job, participating in art or music therapy sessions, working with a guide dog, engaging with others at community events, grocery shopping, as well as demonstrating different modes of communication. Please note, this is not an exhaustive list, just some examples to get you started.
- Videos recorded using a phone or other portable device (i.e. tablet) should be horizontal.
- Consider background noises and lighting. If a person is signing in your video, don’t record in front of an open window.
- To celebrate people who are deafblind and their contributions by raising awareness nationwide.
Tips and Criteria:
- We suggest submitting a video clip that is five minutes or less.
- Please e-mail the name of the individual(s) featured and details about the event or activity.
- Include information from videographer.
Please note that the final video will be five minutes or shorter in length. We appreciate all submissions and contributions for this project. However, with a short amount of time to showcase contributions from East to West across the country, not all clips will be used in their entirety.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. Once again, video clip submissions are due by Friday, February 28 at 5:00pm.